ITS library started as Library of Yayasan Perguruan Tinggi Teknik 10 November (YPTT), that founded at 1959 at Jl. Embong Ploso 12 Surabaya. That collection was obtained through donation from Prof. A.G. Pringgodigdo (concelour of YPPT), a women profesor from United States, United State Operation Mission (USOM), and PT Shell. At the begining of he establishment of Library has 2 employee.
ITS library was inaugurated in 1960 at the same time by launching ITS to state universities. At that time the employee growth became 5 person (3 woman, and 2 man). At 1966, Library moved to JL. Baliwerti 119-121 Surabaya, and Occupying space of 220 m2 with the number of employees to 8 people consisting of 4 women and men 4. In 1967, the library received an additional new employee who graduated from the Library Academy so that the staff became 9 people. In 1975 the ITS Library moved to Cokroaminoto 12A Surabaya street, and occupied a space of 300 m2
In 1982 the ITS Library moved to the Sukolilo ITS campus and occupied 1707 m2. In March of precisely 1995, the ITS Library occupied a building with an area of 7,500 m2 consisting of 5 floors.
With the enactment of P.P. No.5 of 1980 which was later developed with the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture No. 0144/0/1983, ITS Library became a Technical Implementation Unit (UPT). In line with the increasing activity of ITS, the ITS Library UPT continues to grow the number of facilities and infrastructure, building area and number of collections, and the organizational structure is getting better.