As the largest Muslim population country in the world, halal food and beverage products become essential for the Indonesian people. But in fact, many people have difficulty in identifying the halalness of a food and beverage product.
Besides, the halal industry is also growing in various countries along with the growth and distribution of Muslim populations. To solve these problems, ITS as a leading university in Indonesia seeks to put forward a research approach to analysis the halalness of a product. The objective is implemented through research activity on ITS Center for Halal Studies. Moreover, the ITS Center for Halal Studies also plays an important role in conducting research to find a replacement of forbidden by Islamic law products currently used as foodstuffs and medicines.
The center of study was inaugurated on March 24, 2016 and ratified as a study center at ITS by Rector Decree on October 24, 2016. Activities are undertaken at ITS Center for Halal Studies are include education, research, analysis, providing services to the community, and providing input to the government related to halal products and regulation. The ITS Center for Halal Studies is established based on the need for complete and accurate halal information for the Muslim community on the importance of halal products. The research output of ITS Center for Halal Studies is expected to be easily accepted and utilized by the Indonesian Muslim community as a whole.
Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Center for Halal Studies has several excellent programs, among them, are:
1. Preparation and training of certified auditors
2. Halal Care ITS
3. Capacity building through Focus Group Discussion (FGD), workshops, and training
4. Research activities related to halal products
5. Preparation of national publications through halal-related journals
6. National Halal Olympiad
7. Establishment of Halal Assurance Institution (LPH)
Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Center for Halal Studies has a laboratory with the following instruments:
3. Freeze Dryer
Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Center for Halal Studies conducts research on halal products, including
1. Substitution of prohibited by Islamic law materials
2. Development of prohibited by the Islamic law materials analysis method
3. ICT utilization for halal socialization to the community
Some of the projects being undertaken by the Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Center for Halal Studies are as follows:
1. Prof. Ir. Joni Hermana, Msces., Ph.D
2. Prof. Dr. Ir. Adi Soeprijanto, M.T
3. Dr.Eng. Must Be Thunder, S.T., M.Eng
Dr.rer.nat. Fredy Kurniawan, S.Si., M.Si
1. Dr. Imam Baihaqi, S.T., M.Sc
2. Ardy Maulidy Navastara, S.T., M.T
3. Dr. Darmaji, S.Si., M.T
4. Dr. Agus Zainal Arifin, S.Kom., M.Kom
5. Agus Muhamad Hatta, S.T., M.Si., Ph.D.
6. Dr. Ir. Ali Musyafa, M.Sc
7. Dr.rer.nat. Ir. Aulia M.T. Nasution, M.Sc.
8. Dr. Ir. Hasan Ikhwani, M.Sc
9. Dr. Imam Abadi, S.T., M.T
10. Prof. Iwan Vanany, S.T., M.T., Ph.D.
11. Drs. Lukman Atmaja, M.Si., Ph.D.
12. Drs. Mahmud Mustain, M.Sc., Ph.D.
13. Nur Aini Rahmawati, S.Kom., M.Sc
14. Dr. Nurul Jadid, M.Sc
15. Setyo Gunawan, S.T., Ph.D
16. Drs. Soehardjoepri, M.Si
Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Center for Halal Studies has established cooperation with various institutions, including:
1. LPPOM MUI
2. Association of Indonesian Halal Studies Center (APKAHI)
3. Association of Indonesian Muslim Merchants (ISMI)
4. Halal Studies Unit – Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Maulana Ibrahim Islamic State University
Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Center Halal Studies
4th Floor Research Center Building,
ITS Sukolilo Campus, Surabaya 60111, East Java, Indonesia.
Sukolilo | Manyar | Tjokroaminoto
Kampus Institut Teknologi
Sepuluh Nopember Surabaya
Phone: 031-5994251-54, 5947274, 5945472
Fax: 031-5923465, 5947845